Robert Badgley

Really enjoying the course! As you know, I purchased the Blues Course II as well. Not quite to the II yet, but have made a lot of progress thus far. I’m finally playing upper Chords with different positions on the fret board. This was a leap for me after 50 some years.

1. One of the most important lessons I feel is the I, IV, V theory/Concept. With this concept, one really doesn’t need to memorize all of the notes on the fret board, but I’m doing that anyway. Can’t seem to help myself on this. It will prove valuable in near future I’m thinking, especially as I already read notes.

2. The other is practicing the chromatic scale as you show on your video. This not only gets on familiar with fret board, but also is good exercise, and improves style (If practicing correctly).

3. What can I say, I really had no idea just how difficult the guitar as an instrument can be. Anyone can learn a few chords, or maybe even bang out some riffs sounding half way decent, but in a lot of cases (happening to me) that’s as far as I got. Unless you’re Mark Knopfler of course, who has a style of his own. Experience tells me now, one should have a teacher. A teacher will not only assist you in learning, but will give you some great ideas for practice. Just sitting in the living room watching TV, and banging on the (git fiddle) is not practice. Playing for pleasure and playing for study are two different things, that is until you reach intermediate to advanced stage. Take some time to enjoy the guitar as well. Learn a few new songs (all the way through), and words as well. I am not a singer nor profess to be, but my heart is in it, and people can see that. If you are confident in oneself, that may be approx 98% important thing to performing. The other 2% is how well you know your material, much like giving a speech. Getting up in front of people appears to be one of the worst human fears, more than death itself. The more you practice , more confidence gained, more stage time (if that is your desire), the easier it becomes. Look out Robert Plant, and David Lee Roth………………..

4. Your Chord book is great, and gives some basic with advanced direction. I already know a lot of the Chords presented, but then there are a lot that I didn’t know. Incorporating those new chords into your music is a lot of fun, as well as, personal music growth.

5. The last comment for everyone advanced or just starting out is practice. Andres Segovia once said, “One must practice 8 hours per day”. He did, but don’t think many of us have 8 hours a day to play. Just mapping out your goals is extremely important. Have an agenda for each practice session. Tuning before beginning of practice is a must. Exercising both left hand and right as well. I bought hand grips, and one of those Kung Fu eagle catcher exercisers. Four fingers and thumb go in the spring loops, and exercise from there. If exercise hurts stop immediately. Go Slow. I noticed a difference right away though. My bar chords are clear a bell, and hand muscles are less fatigued when playing the 5th and 6th positioned Chords.

I hope this helps. It’s the journey of music, and being in the moment that is so enjoyable. I wish the greatest of luck to those who are playing just for fun, a hobby, or even one day to play professionally. It’s all good!!! I’m not quite to the professional area yet, but one day….Maybe. I can feel like I’m getting better.

Colin, really enjoy your teaching and patience. My Mom was Canadian who grew up in Alberta. Guess that makes me half Canadian. Take care eh? No one down here knows what a tuque is either????

Robert.

Robert BadgleyRetiredTacoma, WA

Comments are closed.